2016 BASKETBALL LEAGUE'S CONSTITUTION
Constitution governing the 2016 Dedë Gjo Luli (DGL) Basketball League hosted by Malësia e Madhe Association - NY.
I. LEAGUE RULES:
Play shall follow the Official Basketball Rules as adopted by the National Federation of State School Association.
1. On every free throw attempt no more than four defensive players, and two offensive players shall line up in the lane. The spots closest to the basket on each side must remain open.
2. In any free throw attempt players shall move into the lane on the release. The shooter and all players outside of the lane must wait until the ball hits the rim before entering the lane.
3. All games shall consist of two twenty-minute halves.
4. Both halves shall be running time in the first 18 minutes. The remaining 2 minutes of each half shall be stop-time.
5. The bonus will be in effect after the 7th personal foul. Bonus free throws will be one and one until the 10th foul. On the 10th the bonus will be 2 shots.
6. Games shall start promptly as scheduled according to the organizer’s watch. Teams will be given a 5-minute grace period. If at the end of the five minutes the team does not have a minimum number of players the game shall be a forfeit. YOU MAY PLAY THE GAME WITH 4 OR 5 PLAYERS.
7. Rosters –If a player is out for the season due to quitting, suspension, injury, etc., the DGL Association will decide if a replacement player (of equal or lesser talent) is necessary. Any player who quits on his team, will not be allowed to play in the league again.
8. Any person ejected from a game for fighting shall be banned for life from the league.
Any person ejected from a game for any other reason shall be suspended for a minimum of 3 games.
Any person ejected from a game by getting two technical fouls shall be suspended for a minimum of 1 game.
*** Technical fouls accumulate. When a player receives a second technical foul at any point in the season, it will result in a one game suspension. After a third technical foul received in one season, that player will be suspended for the remainder of the season including playoffs*** In all suspensions the ejected player must leave the premises immediately, and he is not allowed on the premises until the suspension is over.
9. NEW RULE – THERE WILL BE DUNKING ALLOWED DURING THE GAME. However, there is still no dunking before or after the game.
10. Conduct unbecoming to a gentleman, such as striking an official, damaging school property, etc., shall be grounds for the suspension/ban of a player from the League. Such conduct shall be judged by the Dedë Gjo Luli Association representatives present. The DGL Association and its organizers are requesting that no foul language or gestures be used at anytime. Please respect our request.
11. Each team is entitled to two (2) charged time-outs per half during the regulation game. If you don’t use your time-outs in the first half, they DO NOT carry over to the second half.
- All overtime periods shall be 3 minutes - 2 running time and 1-minute stop-time.
14. To start the game, and each extra period, there shall be a jump ball. Other than that, the game shall use the alternating possession rule.
15. All technical fouls carry a penalty of two (2) free throws plus a throw in from mid court.
16. All technical fouls are considered a personal and team foul.
17. An intentional foul is two (2) shots plus a throw in from a point out of bounds closest to the infraction.
18. Players are out of the game on their 5th personal foul. If a team is down to four players and the fourth player fouls out, that player may continue to play. Each time the player with 5 fouls, fouls again, it will result in a penalty of two (2) free throws plus a throw in from mid court for the opposing team. This new rule is to avoid forfeits during a game so that everyone gets to play.
19. Most important rule is to have fun and respect everyone involved with the league. Remember that this is a fundraiser. We are hoping this league can create new friendships as well as strengthen current ones. The main goal of the league is to strengthen the bond between our young generations of Albanian-Americans.
20. Officials - Under no circumstances can any official be threatened. If an official Is threatened, player is ejected and suspended for the season indefinitely. If the same player threatens an official during a following season, the player is suspended indefinitely from the league.
II. Tiebreakers: The following is a list of tiebreakers used for determining playoff seedings.
1. Winning Percentage
2. Better record in head-to-head games
3. Highest point differential between points scored and points allowed in head-to-head games
4. Highest point differential between points scored and points allowed for the season
5. Coin Flip